Sumba is an island in Eastern Indonesia. It is one of the Lesser Sunda Islands and is in the province of East Nusa Tenggara. Sumba has an area of 11,006.62 square kilometres (4,249.68 square miles), and the population was 779,049.
A visit to Sumba will not be complete if one does not visit the local villages. There are weekly markets being held here. If one is lucky, one can witness traditional weddings.
This place is also famous for its landscapes. Lapopu and Tenggedu Waterfalls, a scenic place for photographers. The sunsets at Walakiri Beach are what photography dreams are made of.
How do you get there?
To reach Tambolaka, in West Sumba, Indonesia, one has to fly to Bali from wherever you are and then take a domestic flight from Bali to Tambolaka. On the way back it is from Waingapu to Bali.
Current Covid Regulations and Compliance.
As of 6th April 2022, ASEAN passengers from 9 ASEAN countries entering Indonesia through the international airports, Bali included, do not need to apply for Visa-on-Arrival and do not need to take a PCR test on arrival if one is fully vaccinated. The reference article is : https://mainlymiles.com/2022/04/06/indonesia-drops-on-arrival-pcr-test-from-6-april-scraps-voa-for-asean-nationals/
20th July 2022: Denpasar – Tambolaka (West Sumba) | Dinner
Suggested flights from Denpasar, Bali to Tambolaka, Sumba.
- Wings Air from DPS-TMC
- 10:45 -12:15
- 14:15 -15:45
- Nam Air
- 09:00 – 10:00
- Arrive at Tambolaka, West Sumba Airport – pick-up
- Check-in at Ella Hotel, Tambolaka or equivalent.
- Sunset shoot at Lendongara Hill
21st July 2022: Tambolaka (West Sumba) | Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Ratenggaro Traditional Village. Photo shoot with Sumbanese people
Traditional weaving by the Sumbanese in West Sumba
Ratenggaro is a traditional Sumbanese village. There are traditional Sumbanese houses on stilts.
- Visit Weekuri Lake and lunch (lunch box – no restaurant around here)
Weekuri Lake is a salt-water lake. The waters are crystal clear.
- Visit Mandorak beach and sunset at Pero Beach
(Stay at Ella Hotel Tambolaka)
22nd July 2022 : Tambolaka (West Sumba) – Waingapu (East Sumba) | Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Check-out of hotel
- Visit Praijing Traditional Village. Photo shoot with Sumbanese people
- Visit Lapopu Waterfall and lunch (lunch box – no restaurant around here)
- Drive to Waingapu (3 hours) and sunset at Walakiri beach
- Dinner and check-in at Padadita Beach Hotel
- Check-out of hotel
23rd July 2022 : Waingapu (East Sumba) | Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- After breakfast we go to Tanggedu waterfall. Tanggedu Waterfall or called the Grand Canyon of East Sumba by the visitors is a waterfall that lies in Tanggedu Village, Kanatang District, East Sumba Regency, East Nusa Tenggara Province. It has a characteristic form of rock relief that is unique.
- Lunch at restaurant
- Visit Prailiu Traditional Village.
- Sunset at Walakiri Beach again
Stay at Padadita Beach Hotel
24th July 2022: Waingapu (East Sumba) | Breakfast
1. Flight from Waingapu to Denpasar, Bali
Suggested Flight :
Wings Air: WGP – DPS 06.30 – 08.05
2. Check out hotel and drop off Waingapu Airport
Please note that you will be flying off from Waingapu which is different from the airport which you arrive.